Diabetic Food List
Anyone with diabetes knows how complicated the cooking and eating process can be. With so many foods off-limits and dietary restrictions in mind, it is sometimes difficult to determine whether it is right to eat things. A diabetic food list, as we have provided in the following article, will hopefully help diabetic patients to be more strict with what they eat. Even though it might not kill you to eat the wrong foods every now and then, there is a chance that it can lead to some significant problems. It is far better to adhere to the healthy policy that will make your life easier in the long run.
Best Diabetic Food List
The best foods on the diabetic food list are often the ones touted by health communities, but there are a few exceptions. Any diabetic should have whole grain flours on their diabetic food list rather than any of the other white flours that most people eat. This means whole grain bread and pasta versus the white flour type. The same holds true for brown rice versus white rice.
Specific oils heated to high levels are also a bad idea, which is why baked potatoes and baked fries can be much better than French fries that are highly saturated in fats that are unhealthy for your body, especially if you are diabetic.
When it comes to vegetables, it is best to eat them raw or steamed. This gives all the nutritional value without high levels of sugar or sodium. Fresh vegetables like cucumbers and cabbage are far better for diabetics than pickles or sauerkraut.
Worst Diabetic Food List
Obviously there are a number of foods that are on the worst diabetic food list that you should not eat under any circumstances. When it comes to carbohydrates, these foods include a wide variety of different white flour types. Any kind of bread, pasta, tortilla, or product that has white flour is generally not as healthy as those that have whole grain flour.
In addition, vegetables are important to be careful about. Do not eat fried vegetables if you can help it and avoid canned types as well. Any kind of fried fish, tofu or protein product is probably not going to be on a healthy diabetic food list as well. If you can avoid any kind of fried product, there is a good chance you can avoid many of the diabetic episodes that might come as a result.
List of Foods For Diabetics –
1) Vegetables: Vegetables are always good for the patient, but understand which are good for the health and which can take its toll on your health.
- Best Choices are fresh vegetables that can be roasted, steamed, and grilled; slightly steamed frozen vegetables. Low sodium vegetables like carrots, bell peppers and eggplants.
- Worst Choices are high sodium canned vegetables, cooked vegetables with cheese, sauce and butter. Avoid high sodium pickle as well.
2) Starches: Carbs are good for the body, but select the right carbohydrates that the diabetic patient can have and stay healthy.
- Best Choices are oatmeal, millet, brown rice, sweet potato that is baked, whole grain items with little sugar.
- Worst Choices are white flour, processed grains and white rice; sugar added cereals and whole grain enrich, French fries, white bread, fried tortillas with white flour.
3) Fruits: Fruits are very important for a healthy life because they have different minerals, vitamins and fiber. They are low in sodium and fat.
- Best choices are frozen fruit with no added sugar, fresh fruits, fruit jam with low sugar.
- Worst choices are canned fruit juice with added sugar, fruit rolls, jam and jelly with high sugar, processed fruit drinks.
4) Dairy: A diabetic patient can have dairy products in very low portion.
- Best choices are 1% of skimmed milk, yoghurt with low fat, cottage cheese with low fat, sour cream with low-fat.
- Worst choices are normal yoghurt, whole milk, sour cream, ice cream, cottage cream.
5) Protein: A diabetic patient needs protein and there are lots of varieties.
- Best choices are seafood, nuts, beans, tofu and seeds, chicken, dairy products with low fat and eggs.
- Worst choices are fat cut meat like ribs, regular cheese, pork bacon, skin poultry, and fried fish, fried tofu.
6) Fats, Sweets, oil
- Best choices are avocados, nuts, and seeds, omega-3 fatty acids food like tuna mackerel and salmon. Canola oil, olive oils and grape seed are the other good choices.
- Worst choices are Trans fat artificial, saturated fats as they are not good for healthy heart.
7) Drinks: A diabetic patient does not have to stay away from any tasty drink.
- Best choices are flavored water, unsweetened tea, light beer, black coffee or milk coffee with low fat milk and low in sugar.
- Worst choices are regular beer, sweetened tea, dessert wines, and sugar coffee with more cream, chocolate drinks and even energy drinks.